Decarbonation and Carbonation of Liquid Products
The DeCarbonator is used for continuous adjustment and especially reduction of the CO2 content of liquid food and beverages such as beer, sparkling wine and soft drinks.
Highly efficient membrane modules allow the CO2 concentration to be increased and decreased with extraordinary accuracy. At the same time the oxygen content is reduced. Each module contains thousands of hydrophobic, gas permeable hollow fibre membranes resulting in a large surface. This large surface maximizes the transfer area and the contact time between product and gas.
While CO2 is applied on the inside of the hollow fibres, the product flows in counter current between them on the outside. Depending on the CO2 partial pressure difference between product and gas, the CO2 permeates through the membranes either out of the membranes into the product or out of the product into the membranes.
The CO2 content of the carbonated product is permanently monitored by a high precision CARBOTEC sensor made by Centec. Based on this inline measurement, the CO2 flow is fully automatically adjusted.
- Typical Technical Data
- 53 - 53,000 gal/h (2 - 2,000 hl/h)
- 0.07 - 1.34 oz/gal (0.5 - 10 g/l)
- ±0.013 oz/gal (option: ±0.007 oz/gal) (±0.1 g/l (option: ±0.05 g/l))
- 1.4301/AISI 304; 1.4404/AISI 316L; etc.
- in-line O2 measurement
- High precision CARBOTEC CO2 sensor for process control
- Membrane modules for adjustment of CO2 and reduction of O2 content
- Customized design; different automation levels